23 September 2009

Scene From Space


Woke up on Mars this morning. Wasn’t expecting it, either.
Emergency Contact and I had left a few windows open overnight and I was woken by the taste of dust and a vague slippery feeling on the sheets.

So, Sydney’s in the grip of the worst dust storm since 1944. Visibility is down to three arm lengths and all of this is coming from South Australia. (So boring, even the dirt is leaving).

Harking back to an old theme of mine though, I witnessed one of the most futile things I have ever seen as I pulled into work on my sandworm, unhooked and made sure I had a spare thumper for the trip home.

There, in among the billowing red dust in the carpark, were our two loyal South Americans. One with his leaf-blower, the other with outdoor vacuum cleaner, both putting their backs into the task of… perhaps a post-ironic art happening?

1 comment:

  1. My money's on the bloke with the vacuum having more to show for his labours...

    ReplyDelete