13 September 2009

Turn It Up


For the few of you who don’t know, Channel 9 Television has a new digital dumping ground, where they send all their crap and pretend it’s real telly. It’s the broadcasting equivalent of making a resort island out of untreated sewage. They’ve called the thing “Go” - and it really should. As an example, it’s where you can still see Dance Your Enormous, Dimpled Arse Off.

But there is some unintentional entertainment to be had. The advertisements.

I laughed until I broke something when I saw an ad for an ear-wax treatment. After showing me some gut-churning vision of what the solution will do to the “build-up”, we then inexplicably cut to a pleasant looking middle-aged stranger sitting on his couch. After a pause where there’s no action or sound, he then lunges forward and yells, (and I mean shouts) “I wasn’t deaf! I just needed ear-wax treatment.” Satisfied he’s got his message across, he settles back into the couch and continues to watch his really loud telly.

It was funny enough that he shouts it. Even better that it’s an American ad where they’ve inaccurately dubbed an Australian accent over the top. (Why do they do that so badly? There are countless ads on at the moment where I think “What on earth made them think that voice actor was a good match for the vision?” I’m thinking particularly of a toothpaste ad where the “dentist” is a petite American/Asian woman, and the talent scouts decided that what sounds like 6’2” Brunhilda from Lithgow was the ideal voice fit.) Anyway, the shouty stranger’s words don’t quite sync with the lips and he really looks like someone who’s only just had his cochlea implant turned on. You know exactly what I mean, don't make me spell it out.

On a completely different matter - this is the 300th blob for A Grey Area. Three hundred! You know what that means? Yup. Not enough friends.

1 comment:

  1. I accidentally discovered Go last night, but if I'd realised there were such gems nestled in its folds I would have stayed!

    Oh, and happy 300th blob post. That's a lotta words.

    ReplyDelete