07 July 2009

Maron Blando


There is unexpected fun to be had everywhere you look. That’s why I like it here. For instance, I don’t expect much from free-to-air telly, but last weekend a little pearl dropped out of the box and rolled across the floor at me.

I found myself accidentally watching Teahouse of the August Moon. This piece of genius gets 4 ½ stars in A Grey Area’s List of Unintentionally Hilarious Films.

You might have thought that Mickey Rooney delivered a deft and subtle performance as Mr Yunioshi in Breakfast at Tiffany’s, but I see you and raise you - MARLON FREAKIN’ BRANDO AS A JAPANESE VILLAGER AND TRANSLATOR! (Yup. Look at that picture again.)

I have never seen anything of such breathtaking and insouciant racism in my entire life. I wept laughing.

I know zat is long. Solly Bors.

1 comment:

  1. Did they lie him in the make-up chair and have bees sting his eyelids for that? At least it looks slightly more natural than Rooney's stick-taped eye situation.

    Do you think he was ronery during filming...

    ReplyDelete