27 August 2009

Judges Agree With Sailor

It’s not often that my little breast swells with nationalistic pride, but I found myself getting a little misty and turning towards the flag while I was listening to the news last night.

One of the great joys of living here is that we have a constitution. We can put that document in front of learned minds, and test the legal validity of our institutions and the decisions of our leaders.

We have recently ripped down the entire edifice of our military justice system, based on the challenge of one badly behaved Naval seaman and ratified by our High Court.

That’s all well and good. That shows we're still not beyond 'taking on the man'.

But what I like more is, that the honourable, esteemed and blustery institutions of this wide, brown land, were brought undone by a tea-bagging.

Australia: Where you can stuff the government, just by lofting your nads onto the forehead of a workmate.

No comments:

Post a Comment