23 August 2009

Status Update In A Self Referential Universe

Time for some blog housekeeping.

So, the first thing I hope you may have noticed, is the search field top right of the page (been there a little while now). It will first give you results from A Grey Area and then some choices.

You might be thinking to yourself, “I wonder what that wise, kind and modest fellow at AGA thinks about this particular subject?" Or you might be thinking, "I wonder what I can sue him for?"

Enter your search term in the field, it pulls out the blobs where the subject has been mentioned. If you click on “More Results” it takes you into a nifty little personalised Google search where you can choose “Search Blogs” or “Search the Net”. So, you can see what your uncle Nick (me) has been saying about things, and then check if he’s even close to being right about it. Bags I know the answer to that little chestnut.

Got what you wanted? Click on the subtle little “X” to the left of the search field to fold the search results back up - you’re back in the standard view.

Another addition I like is the widget that takes you into the Goodreads site. It has a nice picture of the book I‘m currently dribbling on when I fall asleep after two pages. I have only recently joined the site and think it’s suitable social networking for me. It’s not about updating your status and trying to have heaps of friends. It’s about sharing good books and in my case, I am doing reviews where I feel I can be helpful because I am very sensible and you should listen to me. The bummer is, now I have to be a bit careful about what I actually admit to reading. That Neal Asher book on my bedside table is just resting on the Proust so the literature doesn’t get a tea-ring on the cover. Yeah… that’s it.

Next month, I’m putting in a water slide, just over there next to the “Themes” list, and maybe a bug-zapper.


2 comments:

  1. How dare you malign Asher by inlcuding him in the the same sentence as Proust.

    You'll be hearing from my attorney

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking as your attorney, I advise that we should go into a lengthy and expensive proceeding against me.

    ReplyDelete