04 October 2009

Socket To Me


I've had the great fortune to have stayed in some truly, and I use the industry parlance here, fuck-off hotels.

Usually I've been with someone who actually deserves to be there and I've just been the wookie. Or, I was paying through the nose because it was the last bed in town and all the taxis were filled with the vomiting masses. Suffice to say - it's not my usual M.O.

But, every now and then, I've been kicking back in the jacuzzi with a glass of bubbly in my hand, using the remote control to pull back the curtains to give the view its best affect, and I've thought to myself, “Yeah, ok, 5 Star. You can feel the difference.”

I remember the first time I saw a pillow menu. I couldn't help myself and rang down for two softs and a hard. Emergency Contact was in a run-of-the-mill Holiday Inn in Cardiff a few weeks ago, and it had a pillow menu. It's like Mercedes first and then the other cars. You see the feature in an S-Class and ten years later it's standard in a Toyota.

Right now we're in a terrific little surreal hotel in Kowloon... and it's tech-conscious. They've got the next thing that you're about to see everywhere.

Power sockets - in the room safe.

While you're out for the day, your lappy and other tempting devices sit securely, charging away, awaiting your return all safe and snug and ready to go. (If you're already seeing this around, I apologise for being a rube. I am very old yet childishly easy to impress - things like this are a bit, “Well, I never.”).

1 comment: